Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle VS. Miss Dior TWINS?!

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle VS. Miss Dior

Two of the most common dressing table tenants in the world of perfumes are Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle and Dior's Miss Dior Cherie(or now simply called, Miss Dior).

I have come across Coco Mademoiselle for years as it is my mother's signature scent, so my nose is well trained when it comes to its sophisticated scent. I had purchased Miss Dior Cherie back in May of 2012 and to my surprise, I did not recognize the similar scent it shared with Coco Mademoiselle.

One day I was in my mother's room raiding her dresser and she barges in searching for an unknown product, and I caught a sniff of her perfume and asked "Are you wearing my perfume?" and she replied in her wealthy arrogant queen alter ego's voice, "Excuse me; I only use Chanel Mademoiselle", taking advantage of its perfect rhyme. Then it hit me! I must do an experiment, well, not so much an experiment, just a comparison. I sprayed my left wrist with Miss Dior and my right with Chanel Coco Mademoiselle and voila! My sense of smell screamed "Twinsies!"

Now it could just be me and my abnormal nostrils, but I assure you, my nose tells me they smell exactly alike.

Now let's see if there is a clear explanation for such dilemma.
Here are the official "notes" of each perfume:

Miss Dior Notes:
Italian Mandarin Essence, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute, Indonesian Patchouli Essence, wild strawberry leaves, green tangerine, pink jasmine and crystalline musk.

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Notes:
Orange, Bergamot, grapefruit, litchi, rose, Italian jasmine, white musk, bourbon vanilla, Indonesian Patchouli, Haitian Vetiver.

According to the notes provided by Fragrantica.com, the clear notes that both Miss Dior and Chanel Coco Mademoiselle contain are Indonesian Patchouli, Orange/Madarin(essentially similar in fragrance), Jasmine, and musk.

As you can see, they do have quite a bit of similarities, therefore you can pretty much expect to get the same scent out of them. I think the most obvious notes I can smell as I sniff both fragrances are the Jasmine and musk.

Now we go down to the question, "Which one should I purchase?"
Essentially it will come down to the price and of course, the brand. Even though Dior is a pretty sophisticated high end brand, we all know that there is something about Madame Chanel we cannot resist. It's your call. I'm just here to tell you how they smell.

PRICES:

Miss Dior
1.0 oz $62
1.7 oz $82
3.4 oz $105

Chanel Madamoiselle
1.2 oz $64
1.7 oz $85
3.4 oz $115

Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. I own both and i agree both are like sisters. Both cater to a certain age group and i love them. However there are also some stark differences. Miss Dior for me is sweeter and has more heat whereas Coco Madamoiselle has a more crisp, fresh (slightly bitter) floral scent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own both and i agree both are like sisters. Both cater to a certain age group and i love them. However there are also some stark differences. Miss Dior for me is sweeter and has more heat whereas Coco Madamoiselle has a more crisp, fresh (slightly bitter) floral scent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes your so right I agree this has puzzled me for a while how similar they smell glad others think the same

    ReplyDelete